Monday, December 31, 2007

God is in the Most Unlikely Places!!!






It all starts with 4 little angel-shaped tags from the Christmas tree at our church. 4 children - fatherless because the fathers are in prison. A wonderful grandmother who is caring for all of them in her home - despite just having brain surgery. This is the story of so many families and children in our community and world. The blessing in all of this was the fun that David, Kelly, Paula and I had being "Santa" for this family. The most fun was my mission to locate games for an original Sony Playstation not a PS2 or better - just a plain 'ol version one of the Playstation. I checked all of the normal places first, Target - Walmart - KMart - Radiot Shack - ToysrUs - you name it, I checked. So then everyone told me to try the local pawn shops and flea markets. Ok - now, I don't ususally frequent pawn shops - so this was going to be a great adventure - besides, who knows - maybe I would find my new camera that had just been stolen. First, I checked the "nice" pawn shop. Hmmmm - maybe I should have checked this out at the beginning of my Christmas shopping. There really were some great deals in there. BUT - no playstation games - "try the flea market". Well, I don't really have time now to try the fleamarket - so, on to pawnshops #2 and #3. Things are going downhill quickly. By the time I get to shop #4 - I am really getting worried. I call David and let him know where I am just in case no one ever sees me again. Remember - I live in South Florida. I go into the shop where I hear only spanish music and everyone is speaking Spanish. Everything inside looks old and dirty. But wait - doesn't that Spanish song sound just like one on my praise and worship cd? Is this lady witnessing in Spanish to her customer. When she finally noticed me, she asked in English what I was looking for. Oh yea, I am sure that you are way ahead of me - not only did they have 1 game, there was a whole shelf of games for Sony Playstation - orginal version. The lady came and knelt beside me while I sat on the floor going through the games. She asked why I needed these games, and I explained the Angel Tree. She asked where I went to church. When I shared that - she responded with "'Faith Rider". This little Spanish lady running a pawn shop was very active in an incredible group in our church. So now I am getting the games for only $6. Did I go into that dive of a pawnshop thinking that I would find God inside - I think not!! Did I come out praising God for leading me there, and showing His face to me in the form a little spanish Faith Rider running a pawnshop - YES!!
So on Thursday evening before Christmas, the gifts were bagged and taken over to the grandma's house where all of the little angels were. What a great time we had - especially David!! My prayer is for health for grandma/caregiver, progress for little Niles who is developmentally delayed, and the other three children for health, happiness and love. Merry Christmas Angels!!




No comments: