Saturday, January 19, 2008

This is a Nightmare!!


OK - I am still tutoring/coaching Monday through Thursday from 2:30 in the afternoon until around 8. This schedule works for me, and I have some great students right now. A**** my 3rd grader, had to do his first science fair project this year. GREAT!! Somehow this comes under coaching. Mom presents me with a wad of money, and after the Arabic has been translated - I understand that I am to come up with a project, buy all of the supplies needed, and get busy. After 30 + years of teaching in a school - I am just a little over science fair projects. A*** was so excited - all he wanted to do was to build a volcano and explode it. After a couple of hours of explaining and pleading with him - he realized (sort of) that this was not a true project with a hypothesis, etc. Now enters the book - Science Fair Projects for Dummies. I was able to talk him into what looked like a simple project to me - making electricity from citrus fruits. "Look A*** - the world needs energy, everyone is talking green - we can come up with an alternative energy source that will work. We can do this!!" I was over the top with enthusiasm just hoping that it would catch on. It did. We spent several afternoons together, and then almost...an entire weekend!! At one point, I had to call in the engineer husband to help us run the final test with the voltmeter from our garage. Wow - hooked up the copper wire to the slits in the grapefruit that had to have copper pennies to hold the wire in place, and FINALLY the needle moved!! After the screaming and jumping around subsided, we repeated our project for dummies. OK - same results, we are really onto something here!! Why hasn't the White House or Al Gore picked up on this phenomena!! This could be the answer to the recession that has taken hold of the SunShine State!! Alright - on to the rest of the story - everything is mounted semi-neatly on the project backboard (photos, conclusions, theory, etc) A*** leaves here with his fruit, wires and voltmeter and backboard. So very impressed with himself - not to mention Mr. Bishop, Kelly and me. I am just thankful that A*** has a project to turn in, and one - that after hours of practice - that he can actually explain to his class. Fast forward two weeks later...phone call from A***'s mom. She is screaming Arabic into the phone and I really have no idea what she is saying. Later that afternoon - I find out that A*** WON the science fair!!! Oh, please - this is a fair for grades 3-8 - how can this be???? Now, "WE" are moving on to the next level of competition!!!!! Is there anyone else out there who sees this as a nightmare!!!

4 comments:

christine said...

Oh, Kathy, I feel your pain! The worst part of homeschooling for me was the science projects!! Now that I know how good you are at it maybe I don't have to worry so much about the impending science fair projects for Ryan!! Keep all your notes he will be coming to see you soon!--and, congratulations!

Cheryl Nichols said...

You're terrific no matter what your up to.

Love ya
Cheryl

annette said...

I am SO relating to you! The best thing about my grown kids being out of elementary school--no more science fair. One year, Mike (my husband) won. I was horrified. I always felt those projects were more for Open House to look beautiful. Good luck Kathy. It's a tough competitive world out there in sci-fi projectville. And it does sound like you had a winner of an idea--long way from vinegar and soda volcanoes! Cute post. love, annie

annette said...

Any NEWS??? Praying for a healthy baby and mom and for your safe travel.