Sunday, January 25, 2009

God Stop Friday

Now, I just love it when God shows himself as just a totally, delightful surprise to me. Like I said earlier, music is in my soul - it flows through every fiber of my being. And that is just nothing but a gift from God. Now, there is a certain kind of music that I have loved for years and years and years.
Beach music, also known as Carolina beach music, is a regional genre which developed from various musical styles of the forties, fifties and sixties. These styles ranged from big band swing instrumentals to the more raucous sounds of blues/jump blues, jazz, doo-wop, boogie, rhythm and blues, reggae, rockabilly and old-time rock and roll. Beach music is closely associated with the style of swing dance known as the shag, or the Carolina shag, which is also the official state dance of both North Carolina and South Carolina. Recordings with a 4/4 "blues shuffle" rhythmic structure and moderate-to-fast tempo are the most popular music for the shag, and the vast majority of the music in this genre fits that description.

So, I am driving around Jacksonville, NC, Friday morning running errands for Kaiti to get ready for the big birthday. Turn on the radio and guess what!?!?! 94.1 - a station dedicated to playing beach music!! I just slowed myself down,took my time and listened to some wonderful music!! And just kept finding more errands to run out and do...now I KNOW that there are some blogging friends out there who will appreciate this one!!



3 comments:

Cheryl Nichols said...

Yeh Boy, wish I were there!!!!!
Happy Birthday Colin!!

Anonymous said...

When you said you liked beach music before, I wasn't sure what you were talking about. I love it! Music is a gift from God,indeed. Love, Annette

Unknown said...

I love that beach music also. It's just there in these Carolina bones.