Sunday, July 22, 2007

Why Go??

Thank you for your prayers - had a text message at 8:30am that DB had arrived in Nairobi, and the greatest answer to prayers is that all of the luggage and supplies had also arrived with them. This young lady is why DB goes back to Africa every year. Evelyn was found in the hut behind, living with her grandmother and little brother. Everyone else in her family (10 adult children, their spouses and grandchildren) had died from AIDS. When D met her, she was very ill with no idea of what was wrong, and what could be done to make her better - no doctors in the area. She was so weak that she could hardly get out of bed. There was an open wound on her ankle - source of infection that had traveled throughout her body. The team, against the advice of local missionaries, put their money together, rented a van and transported her to the closest "clinic". After meeting with the doctor, he was paid in advance for treatments and medicine. Travel arrangements were put in place so that Evelyn could get to the clinic daily. Evelyn accepted Christ in the process - her grandmother said that she had been praying for years for someone to come to her home and tell her about Jesus. Evelyn went home to Jesus - her body was too weak and malnourished to handle the strong antibiotics that she was receiving. Last year when D went back to the same village he was able to find Evelyn's grandmother and give her a framed photo that he had taken of her beautiful granddaughter. So this is why they go back year after year - why they try and save lives, spirits and souls. This is the picture that never leaves your head or your heart. This is life in Africa that we are called to make a difference in.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very inspiring reason why DB goes and I am so thankful that he is there along with all the luggage and all that needed to be with him. Still praying, keep us posted.

Rachelsonamission said...

That is so awesome!
AMEN

Paulette said...

I don't know how I linked here but I am so thankful I did. I loved your blog!! My adopted parents are missionarys 3 times a year to Uganda Africa. This next June I will go with them to begin my African journeys. They have been to Kenya alot as well. My home is in African Motef because I love it so dearly and they bring me back all sorts of keepsakes from Uganda.
I know how to definately pray for the African people and I will do this for you. Wow I will definately be back.I admire so much what you do truely. I will add you and all the requests to my prayer journal under Kenya Africa next to Uganda.
May the Lord Bless you for your work!!

Connie Barris said...

My heart just pours out in love.. I have lost a loved one to AIDS.... it's horrific...

My prayers are with you all

Rachelsonamission said...

WOW thats so amazing!
I can't believe he was in the same place! I'm sure we will. Yes that would be great if Kelly went! and you too ofcourse.
=]

Joan said...

That was amazing! Thanks for sharing such a cool storey