Monday, March 10, 2008

Hurting Hearts


It was last Saturday, March 1, when I received a phone call that would change our lives and the lives of friends that we love forever. The message just said to come over - something awful and tragic had happened. Their son, Trey, had been found dead that morning by his mom - my friend - when she went to wake him up to go off with the family for a day of fun at the boat show. The sadness that has grabbed hold of our community is almost more than anyone can bear. The unexpected grief that has overtaken the spirits of Trey's friends is so difficult to witness. Kelly and Trey have been friends for years. He spent almost as much time at our house as his during his school years - tutoring every evening. When there was no homework or projects to do - he was often still here just hanging out. How and why does a sweet life that is so full of promise come to an end? How do you explain this to your child? How do I explain this to myself? The loss and emptiness that everyone who loved Trey is dealing with is like learning a language that we have never spoken. We are supposed to support his family, yet we are all feeling this huge loss. All that any of us can do is to pray that God will bring glory to Trey's death - that goodness is going to come from this - that in time, our grief and mourning will turn to joy as we see The Trey Curry Foundation help those who Trey would have helped in his own time here on earth. I thank God for the gift of having Trey in my life and having the privilege of teaching him for 10 years. I thank God for the friend that Trey was to me, David and especially Kelly. I pray that God will help Kelly through this time of grieving. I pray for Trey's family as they make it from day to day right now. God please help us all.


2 comments:

annette said...

Oh Kathy, I am so sorry. I appreciate the picture and the life that you mourn. I have had you all in my prayers, as a mom and as your friend. It hurts so much sometimes. Prayers for Trey's family and yours to heal and time to find joy again. Love you, Annette

JeanMac said...

Just sick to read this - actually, it's difficult to fathom the loss.