Saturday, May 26, 2007

What a Week?!?!?!?!

Proverbs 19:21Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

This has been one crazy week for so many reason...so, I am so thankful for the weekend that we had away from everything in Charleston. It seems that God has decided to jerk us up out of our comfort zone, and completely turn our world upside down. I am guessing that in His eyes - this is definitely not upside down, just where He wants and needs us to be right now. Let's see if I can just calmly recap the events of the past week. Even tho, Kelly was having a very difficult time physically and emotionally - we went ahead and left for a weekend away - with great reservations. My heart goes out to other parents who have a child - even a 21 year-old "child" who has health problems. The 5 years since her car accident have been like riding the old wooden roller coaster that just came down in Myrtle Beach. We got into Charleston around 11 Friday morning - stopped off at our favorite jewelry store - Garfield's http://www.realpagessites.com/garfieldjewelers/index.html We both shopped there when we were in college, and David even bought my engagement ring there - one of my sorority sisters who worked for Mr. Garfield promptly spread the news to everyone!! Mr. Garfield still remembers that story... then we were off to meet up with our friends for the weekend. First stop - Poogan's Porch for lunch - we were taken upstairs to a table - now remember this is a little out of the way place to eat - and my cousins from out of town were in the same dining room eating - STRANGE!! but a quick, great visit...then on downtown to take a carriage tour and show our friends Charleston...ran into a couple of other old friends from the years we lived there...

SURPRISE NO 1 of the week - our oldest daughter, Kaiti, called while we were on the way to dinner to let us know on speakerphone that we were going to become grandparents next January!! This is a dream come true for myself, David and Kelly - and my mom - remember the Steel Magnolia, well she is BEYOND any excitement that I have seen in her in so long...

SURPRISE NO 2 - met up with a very special couple for lunch - we have known these dear friends since 1992 - He has left an engineering job to be in fulltime ministry, she has been teaching as long as I have - while having lunch, Jerry asks David what he plans to do with his life when he retires - David's response - it has to have something to with missions in Africa, since going over the past three years - part of his heart and soul is there, but there has to be more that can be done...giving them the gospel and salvation is incredible, but these precious people are dying physically...Jerry then tells us about Water Missions International http://www.watermissions.org/ This ministry is exactly what David has been doing professionally everyday of his life for the past 26 years!!! This is just unbelievable, and something only God could put in front of us!! As soon as we got near a computer we started checking this out - take a look - they are saving lives by providing clean, drinking water where there has never been any - and it is a Christian ministry. First thing Monday morning, David was on the phone with a couple of their engineers - great conversation - they have set up two sites very close to where he is going to in Kenya this July. Now, this is our idea of retirement - and guess where this organization is headquartered - Charleston. Two states closer to the coming grandchild, one hour instead of seven hours from my Mom, close to the beach, close to old friends...Just trying to figure out what God is going to do with all of this

SURPRISE #3 - I haven't talked about this on the blog, but really need some prayers here - I was scheduled for minor, but very necessary female surgery a couple of weeks ago - went in two days before for all of the pre-op testing - got a call from the anesthesiologist the day before letting me know that he had canceled the surgery due to some significant problems with my liver enzymes - what the heck!!! So I head to the primary for more bloodwork, assuming this was all a mistake. It wasn't - the numbers have continued to climb - even after taking me off of everything that I have ever thought about putting into my mouth in the form of drugs or medicine..every tests that was run on the blood came back negative, so on Tuesday I had an ultrasound, not good news, this led to a CAT scan on Thursday - with no news until Tuesday due to the holiday on Monday. I am sure that those of you who have been on this journey before can understand wanting to know something NOW!!
SURPRISE #4 - I come home to sleep after the SCAN due to being up all night drinking that nasty white liquid to make my insides glow - called David later to check in, and when you have been together for over 30 years - you know immediately when something is wrong - the company that he has been with for the past 13 years (and loves working for) had been sold that morning. This will probably change so many things for us - life now, daily work, future plans, retirement, benefits, etc. At this point - we know nothing, there are three regional meetings this week with the employees to answer our questions. Problem - David has a new plant starting up - no meeting in Baltimore for him!!

SURPRISE #5 - Kelly's team of doctors decided to try a new medication - very scary time for all of us - her body's reaction to this med was something that I never like to see - she is better today, has been sleeping most of the day.

NOT A SURPRISE - the Monday night Beth Moore Chicks are just doing great!!! What an incredible group God has brought together - with others asking to come!?! This is truly a devine adventure!!

I know this has been long and rambling, but it sure has helped me to put it all in perspective and get my brain around everything that's going on. My prayers are for health - Kaiti's and baby, Kelly and mine...for open hearts and minds as we find out what this change in David's career means, prayers for the people of Africa that their spiritual and physical thirst needs can be met and that we can be a small part of that...So, I am just waiting to see what kind of adventure God and I are going on next week!!

5 comments:

Joan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joan said...

I worked on Connie's blog, and now it's signing my siggie as Connie!

So...here's what I said, hopefully with my name attached!

Is that all? I mean, you should really wait until you have something to write about!

Wow.

I just love your blog...it feels so homey. I love it!

Anita said...

Wow!!! I hope through all of that you were able to enjoy your time in Charleston. It sounds like God has some great things in store for you guys. I'm so excited for Kaiti!!!! What are all the details? You guys will definitely be in our prayers. We love you and can't wait to see you in October.

Connie Barris said...

A lot seems to be taking place in your life...
Some times God will put all this in front of you so that the only choice you have is to rely totally on Him...

Been there very recently myself...

I'm not only a counselor, I'm a nurse... and once again, I'm (He)moving out of my comfort zone.. but the difference now is,, after the last little trip.. is I'm at total peace...

So I am sitting back and watching God do His job with the utmost confidence... and I know it's going to be awesome...

It is completely out of all my expectations.. I would have NEVER choosen it myself but now that I look back or see forward, I'm beside myself in joy...

Sounds like you have a heart of Gold...and a Heart for God...

blessings....

will be praying
Connie

Michael and Christina said...

Well, lady, you've caused quite a stir! I talked to Mom this morning and everyone is excited about Katie and the prospects for David. However, Mom and Christine are kind of frantic about the medical issues. I told them I'd leave you a comment and you can probably be expecting a call form my mom sometime soon. We love you and will be praying for the excitinn news as well as the challenging.