Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mama, MeMe, MeMaw, Steel Magnolia, friend...

My visits home are always filled with amazement at what my almost 86 year old mother is up to. So just a little blog about what we did with our precious time together last weekend. Because of my leisurely drive through the backroads of SC, I was a little later than I thought getting to Mama's on Thursday night. I had suggested that we go out to dinner when I got there, but no - a big pot of homemade soup was ready and hot when I got in. She was already working on plans to take one of her best lady friends to the doctor the next morning - cancelling her own appointment if that's what she needed to do. She headed out to pick up Miss Margaret and I headed out to run some local errands. We met up and had a great lunch at at 4 Seasons - nothing but fresh, fresh fruits and vegetables and homecooked food!! Local shopping, seeing and talking to some old friends filled the rest of the day. I had finally talked to the local cable company to try and get Mama switched from dial-up internet access to high speed. She does all of her banking, email, IM with dial-up - so that ties up her phone line which bothers all of us, not to mention how very, very SLLLLOOOOOWWWWW this all is. Hopefully, even tho she doesn't think it's necessary - it is all being hooked up today. I thought that we were going to sleep in a little on Saturday - that WAS the plan. I got up around 8, went to check on Mama and the bed was made and she was gone!?! I walked through the house looking for her - and then I heard it - the sound. The sound of a lawnmower running away!!! I threw up the kitchen blinds and there she was mowing away in the backyard!!!! Thank goodness I already had a cup of coffee in hand and sleep pants on with a t-shirt. I had to wrestle the lawn mower away from her!! And then, when I asked her why she wouldn't let my brother take care of the yard - this is what she said. "Kathy, your brother is 65 years old - he has no business out in this heat doing yardwork!!" Does anyone out there even believe this!?!?! I finished up - THANK GOODNESS it was early enough to be a little cooler than 100 degrees outside!! Took in the Farmers' Market looking for some local, untainted tomatoes - but didn't have any luck. Now, across the street from Mama is one of her closest friends - Miss Pauline. In the past two years, Miss Pauline has been very ill and is now dealing with her health problems and Alzheimer's. At least twice every week, Mama goes over to visit Miss Pauline and spends an hour or so massaging her feet and legs. According to her daughter and caregiver, this precious time that these two friends spend together is the only time that her mother is completely calm and relaxed. I had the privilege of being able to go visit Miss Pauline with Mama Saturday afternoon. She was on the sofa waiting - towel and lotion ready. We talked and visited while Mama took care of Miss Pauline - rubbing and massaging her tiny feet and legs. The change in Miss Pauline was immediate and evident when Mama came in and got to work. I listened over and over this past weekend to the words of Tim Russert on fatherhood - the lessons and legacy of Big Russ. Well, Miss Pearl, is leaving a legacy of her own - as a sister, aunt, neighbor, friend, woman of faith, grandmother and mother.

2 comments:

Carolinian in Texas said...

The Steel Magnolia really looks good, and yes, I do believe she was out mowing the lawn. What an amazing woman. If only my own Mom did half as much. Mom is busy with her own thing...knitting for any and everyone. Do you need a dish clothe or two? I am so glad you were able to spend sometime with this amazing woman.

P.S. Is she still collecting Beanie Babies?

JeanMac said...

Wow, that's so great!